Global Leadership Summit
ImagineWhat if we could gather leaders from business, government, churches, social service providers, and universities in one place- to learn, increase their leadership skills, and be inspired to work together to solve problems in our community?
What if we as a church could build bridges in our community, overcoming barriers and creating new partnerships- where leaders from various sectors of society work together to make our community a better place to live?
What if business leaders, pastors, professors, and professionals could glimpse a kingdom vision of how what they do Monday through Friday could impact the world for good?
By hosting this satellite event, OUMC is serving our local community by bring world-class leadership development to our city to inspire leaders to be their best.
What is The Global Leadership Summit? The premier training event to help Christ-following leaders and emerging leaders recalibrate, recommit, and renew their passion to lead with all diligence. Presented by the Willow Creek Association, a worldwide interdenominational network of more than 7,000 churches, The Global Leadership Summit is broadcast live from Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Illinois, to churches and college campuses in more than 650 cities worldwide- and now, for the first time- in Ooltewah at OUMC!
What should I expect? Participants can anticipate two full days of leadership training from best-selling authors, pastors, business leaders with experience in the trenches, and visionaries who are able to raise our sites to the possibilities of a brighter future. Sessions run from 9-5 Thursday August 14 through Friday August 15, 2015 in the Worship Center on the campus of OUMC in Ooltewah.
Who are the speakers this year?
- BILL HYBELS Founder and Senior Pastor, Willow Creek Community Church Bill Hybels is senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church, a church of more than 25,000 that celebrates its 40th year in 2015. He founded The Global Leadership Summit with a commitment to develop and mentor leaders worldwide. In 2014, the Summit equipped more than 220,000 leaders in 785 cities and 108 countries. Hybels is the best-selling author of more than 20 books including Simplify, Courageous Leadership and Leadership Axioms.
- SALLIE KRAWCHECK Chair, Ellevate Network; Former President, Bank of America’s Global Wealth & Investment Management Sallie Krawcheck has a reputation for integrity, independent thinking and an unrelenting focus on results. Called “The Last Honest Analyst” on Wall Street by Fortune Magazine, she argued that clients should be reimbursed for a portion of the losses they incurred during the financial downturn. Named number 9 on Fast Company’s list of the “100 Most Creative People 2014,” Krawcheck recognizes that empowering women is smart for business and currently leads Ellevate—a network of more than 34,000 professional women around the world.
- BRIAN HOUSTON Founder and Global Senior Pastor, Hillsong Church Brian Houston is senior pastor of Australia-based Hillsong Church, a global family of congregations comprising more than 100,000 weekly attendees. Regarded for his boldness, innovation and vision, he is passionate about the local church and empowering the next generation of leaders with fresh Biblical teaching, relevant worship and accessible community. He is also the President of Hillsong Bible College and the Executive Producer of more than 30 gold and platinum albums that have come from the Hillsong Worship team.
- ED CATMULL Co-founder of Pixar Animation Studios; President of Walt Disney Animation Studios Ed Catmull has been honored with five Academy Awards including the Gordon E. Sawyer Award for a lifetime of contributions and leadership in the field of computer graphics for the motion picture industry. His book Creativity, Inc. is a distillation of the management principles he has used to lead one of the world’s most creative cultures. This session will explore the nerve center of Pixar—the meetings, postmortems and “Braintrust” sessions where some of the most successful films in history have been made.
- ADAM GRANT Professor, Wharton School of Business; Best-selling Author Adam Grant is the youngest tenured professor at Wharton. Named one of BusinessWeek’s favorite professors and one of the world’s 40 best business professors under 40, he is the best-selling author of Give and Take: A Revolutionary Approach to Success. His pioneering research has led to increased performance and reduced burnout among business professionals— concluding that a giving mindset might be the best path to getting ahead.
- SHEILA HEEN Founder Triad Consulting Group; Faculty, Harvard Law School Sheila Heen has spent two decades at the Harvard Negotiation Project specializing in our most difficult conversations— where disagreements are strong, emotions run high and relationships become strained. Her firm, Triad Consulting Group, works with executive teams to strengthen their working relationships, work through tough conversations and make sound decisions together. She has written two New York Times bestsellers, including her most recent, Thanks for the Feedback, which helps leaders improve their ability to receive feedback.
- CRAIG GROESCHEL Founder and Senior Pastor, LifeChurch.tv Craig Groeschel and LifeChurch.tv are known for using innovative technology to spread the Gospel to multiple locations around the U.S. and globally via Church Online. With a passion for serving the Church and partnering to reach people for Christ, LifeChurch.tv shares its resources with churches worldwide, including the free Bible app from YouVersion.
- SAM ADEYEMI Founder and Senior Pastor, Daystar Christian Centre in Nigeria Under Sam Adeyemi’s leadership, Daystar Christian Centre grew from a handful of people in 1995 to more than 25,000 people weekly—with highly recognized community impact projects. The author of numerous best-selling books, his television programs reach viewers on all continents. Adeyemi founded Daystar Leadership Academy, which is dedicated to releasing a new generation of leaders who will serve as catalysts in the transformation of Africa and the world.
- HORST SCHULZE Chairman and CEO, Capella Hotel Group; Founding President and Former COO, The Ritz-Carlton Group As CEO of Capella Hotel Group, Horst Schulze inspires client loyalty by raising the bar for customer service. Under his leadership, The Ritz-Carlton Group was awarded the prestigious Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in both 1992 and 1999—the first and only hotel company to win even one such award. A leader and entrepreneur, he inspires leaders with practical ways to create high-quality customer service experiences.
- JIM COLLINS Nationally Acclaimed Business Thinker; Best-selling Author Good to Great Driven by a relentless curiosity into what makes great companies tick, Jim Collins has authored or co-authored six books on leadership that have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. He began his research and teaching career on the faculty at Stanford Graduate School of Business, and in 1995 he founded a management laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. Passionate about the business and social sectors, in 2012 and 2013, he served as the Class of 1951 Chair for the Study of Leadership at the United States Military Academy at West Point.
- LIZ WISEMAN President, The Wiseman Group; Best-selling Author Liz Wiseman teaches leadership to executives and emerging leaders around the world. She is the president of The Wiseman Group, a leadership development firm, listed on the Thinkers50 ranking and named one of the top 10 leadership thinkers in the world. A contributor for Harvard Business Review and Fortune, her work has also appeared in the Wall Street Journal and Fast Company. Wiseman is the author of three best-selling books, including her most recent, Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work.
- ALBERT TATE Founder and Senior Pastor, Fellowship Monrovia in Southern California Albert Tate, senior pastor of Fellowship Monrovia, held a variety of strategic pastoral leadership positions before founding the church in 2012—one of the fastest-growing multiethnic churches in the U.S. He also serves on the Board of Trustees for Azusa Pacific University and the Fuller Youth Institute’s Advisory Council. A dynamic communicator, this 15-year ministry veteran combines biblical challenge with humor and is a sought-after guest speaker at universities and churches across the United States.
- DR. BRENÉ BROWN Research Professor, University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work; Best-selling Author Dr. Brené Brown has spent the past 13 years studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness and shame. Her 2010 TEDx Houston talk, The Power of Vulnerability, is one of the top five most viewed TED talks in the world with more than 18 million views. She is the author of two #1 New York Times bestsellers, including Daring Greatly and The Gifts of Imperfection. Brown’s newest book, Rising Strong, releases this fall and examines how falling down can be our greatest call to courage and why owning our stories of struggle gives us the power to write a daring new ending.
Members of the OUMC community and their guests may register by using the password in the box below. Community guests may also register on the GLS site linked here:
For more site-specific information on the GLS at OUMC, contact Eric Light- Director of Connectional Ministries at OUMC at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-238-9216.